Saturday, July 21, 2012

Lunar Leanings and Lake Lola…

I have noticed lately that my most popular work on Etsy (that is the ones that get the most "favorited" or put in the most treasuries) are the ones with either the dramatic skies or that contain the moon. I am fascinated by the moon myself and love gazing at the night sky on a clear night. It excites me to see the huge orb rise in the east and peak through the trees in our backyard. So, this has been my focus lately. That said, it is difficult to come up with new "moon" paintings because it is dark out and you really can't see that much of anything else. Silhouettes are fine but again, there is a limit in my mind. I came up with Moonrise on Lake Lola a couple of weeks ago. At first it was a beach-type scene but then I realized that it wanted to be a lake. After brainstorming titles with daughter Karin and grandson Colin I arrived at Moonrise on Lake Lola. While I am sure there is a "Lake Lola" somewhere, this particular one is fictitious and purely mine. You see, to my grandchildren I am "Lola". The short version of why is that a friend who is from the Philippines called me "Lola" shortly after I first became a grandma. "Lola" is grandma in  the Tagalog language of the Philippines.

I hope you enjoy your visit to "Lake Lola". Stay as long as you like. It's a peaceful place, the weather is always perfect and reservations are never needed.

"Moonrise on Lake Lola" 14 x 20 watercolor on Arches 140# CP


No comments:

Post a Comment