Sunday, January 15, 2012

Funny story time (updated)


Long ago and far away (during our 11 month exile in New Mexico to be exact) I did a large acrylic painting of a square rigger ship at sea. When we returned to California we had no place to put it and so it lived on my in-law's living room wall. I was not particularly attached to it but Don's parents thought it was some kind of masterpiece so I said they could keep it. They had it framed and kept asking if I was sure I didn't want it back.

Fast forward to present day. 92 year-old father-in-law moves into assisted living. We put the painting up in his room in a place where he can see it from his bed and anyone walking down the hall can see it if his door is open (it usually is). He told us that people are always asking to come in and see it (unbelievable to me but what the heck, I am flattered) unfortunately he tells everyone that is it worth $5,000. Believe me, it is NOT. I've told him that he really shouldn't be telling people that but he thinks it is fun so he continues. Today he called to tell me that another lady came by and wanted to see "The Painting". I said maybe he should start charging admission. He thought that was a good idea. I was joking. I only hope he he was too.

I know some of you want to see what it looks like. I can hear you wondering that. I know I took a picture of it hanging on the wall when we "decorated" his room but for the life of me I can't find it. Maybe you should consider yourself lucky. At least you were able to dodge that "admission fee." 

Awhile later…

So it turns out our daughter had the picture so here you go. For free. 



No comments:

Post a Comment